35203RE: rest time after thru-hike

  • straw_marmot
    Sep 28 9:13 PM

      Aside from not having enough room in the pack, it sounds like your planning was good - solid all-round fitness regime beforehand, 3,000 cal would have been fine I think for 10 miles/day for the average female body weight.

      Given your dramatic weight loss, seeing a doctor seems sensible for peace of mind.  But if the doctor doesn't pick up on anything else,  I think just the rapid weight loss while you're beating up your muscles on the trail could explain the long recovery.  But you will bounce back, don't worry!  I've done far worse to my body, smoked for 20 years....

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <jotslibrarylist@...> wrote:

      Thank you for that.
      I thought I was prepared and tried to listen the group's feedback by packing foods that I trail tested previously and liked. My calorie budget was about 3000 cal/day (obviously I did not eat that amount after the second resupply, since I could not carry all 18lbs. of food). I wasn't prepared for my taste preferences to change so drastically on the trail. All the sweet snacks started to taste sickly sweet. AND I LOVE chocolate so I happily put a bar a day in my allowance -- then found I couldn't eat the bars or even look at them. I also had a problem with nausea (elevation?). I have a doctor's appt. in a week, in case there is something else going on.

      But I totally agree -- it's not the time to have a calorie deficit and I did not go in hoping to lose weight.
      I just wanted to finish -- all limbs attached. =)

      It is good to know that recovery can be more immediate if I take better care of myself on the trail. Something I still have to learn, I guess.

      JoT.