35202RE: rest time after thru-hike

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Sep 28, 2013

       My main activity is running when I'm not hiking. I took three days off after finishing on 9/14 ( which were travel days.  I ran 5 miles the day after I got home and then took it easy for the next few days with no runs longer than 8 miles. I'm back to my normal routine now with 38 miles this past week and a 14 mile run today.  I need to ramp up to a couple of longer runs before my marathon at the end of October. Overall, I feel great now that my legs are back to running mode from hiking. It did take a few runs before I felt that my muscles had switched over back into "running mode".   Overall I'm happy with using running to get into shape for the JMT.

      ---In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hello, all-
      So I finished my JMT thru-hike this week (trip report coming later), and was curious how much time people took after their trips before starting to work out again. My trip was 21 nights/22 days.

      I gave myself two days off, then did a short five mile hike today (no pack!!) and am exhausted. Yesterday it took me ALL DAY just to gear up to one trip (in the car!) to the local Target store. On the JMT, I was averaging 10-mile days in high elevation (37lb pack!) and much more challenging terrain (of course) then what is at our local nature preserve.

      Prior to the trip, I had been hiking 4x/week about 5 miles each time (elevation not even a factor), plus gym 3x/wk 1.5 hours each session (mostly core and weight training).

      Any info/feedback on what worked for you is appreciated. I know everyone is different.

      JoT.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic