3513Re: John Muir Trail trip report and photos (part 6 of 6), July 2008

  • hmdsierra
    Feb 2 9:28 AM
      The friend who really got me started by saying he wanted to go to Mt.
      Whitney died about twenty years ago. When he was sick I visited him
      and we looked at all the pictures I had taken over the previous twenty
      years, a long two days to see. He said he wanted to make another trip
      as he hadn't been able to go with me for such a long time. The first
      trip that came to mind was South Lk to Florence Lk, LeConte/Evolution.
      To me that was the crown jewel of Kings Canyon if not the whole JMT.
      There is something so peaceful about Evolution that I love. That is
      where I want my ashes tossed.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, akunkle99 <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > Thanks, glad you enjoyed them!
      >
      > Either this part, or Kings Canyon NP, was my favorite. That's a
      > tough call though - both were fantastic.
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, hmdsierra <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I love the trip reports and pictures. This last section is likely
      > my
      > > favorite since I've spent so much time there. My second trip was
      > over
      > > Trail Crest and into Crabtree Mdw. then back to the Summit of Mt.
      > > Whitney. Later that summer, September, was to Crabtree Lks. Those
      > > trips hooked me on backpacking. Over the years I've done many areas
      > > but none so much as the Kern. We've been in the upper basin lakes
      > and
      > > come in over all the passes from Forester to Cottonwood. An October
      > > trip down the Kern River is in a five way tie for first place. When
      > > Gary and I finished JMT in a two week trip he looked south from
      > > Forester Pass and said "Ahh My Kern". I understood and wished he
      > had
      > > ben able to explore it as much as I had.
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, akunkle99 <no_reply@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The final installment of the trip report from our July thru-hike
      > of
      > > > the John Muir Trail is now posted. This segment takes us through
      > > > Sequoia National Park to the summit of Mount Whitney. The trip
      > report
      > > > can be viewed at:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/California/JMT_6.html
      > > >
      > > > Photos can be viewed at:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/9067009@N03/sets/72157610520445870/
      > > >
      > > > If you missed some of the other installments, my personal
      > favorite
      > > > photos from the whole trip can be found here:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/9067009@N03/sets/72157611409959237/
      > > >
      > > > The entire series of trip reports and photos can be accessed at:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/California/California.html
      > > >

      > > > Andy & Christy
      > > > http://www.angelfire.com/trek/fungi/

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic