35103RE: Great Trip!

  • krishna9012
    Sep 23, 2013

      Ravi:

      Congrats on completing JMT in one shot!  Look forward to your photos!  Did you do solo? If so did you camp solo?  How many days it took for completion?  How many food resupplies etc?

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I completed the JMT on Saturday, September 14 exiting at Whitney Portal around 1pm.  I have to say that the hike vastly exceeded my high expectations in almost every way.  In particular, the high passes on the second half of the trip were just incredible compared to any of the hiking I've done in the past.  Also, with the exception of the first day leaving Yosemite Valley, the Red's Meadow area (during Labor Day weekend), the Rae Lakes loop area, and Trail Crest to Whitney Portal, I found the trail to be much less crowded than I anticipated.  I believe that the longest stretch of trail where I didn't see any other hikers was from Pinchot Pass to the Woods Creek suspension bridge.

      Despite the fires, there was only one day when smoke was an issue and that happened to be in Red's Meadow where I was taking an unplanned zero day due to being ahead of schedule.  I only put on rain gear once while hiking (near Silver Pass) and only had three days where I had any rain in camp beyond sprinkles.

      Favorite stretches of trail:  Upper Lyell Canyon to Thousand Island Lake, Rosemarie Meadows to Sallie Keys Lakes, Evolution Basin and Muir Pass, Mather Pass and Upper Basin, Glen Pass, Forrester Pass, and of course, Mt. Whitney.  Least favorite:  Area around Red's Meadow, three to four miles prior to the Woods Creek Bridge, and most of all, the seemingly interminable descent from Trail Crest to Whitney Portal going "against traffic" due to all the day hikers ascending!

      I may post some pictures later once I sort through all of them (well over a thousand).  I'm already thinking about my next long hike ... probably either the Colorado Trail or a longer segment of the PCT (maybe Kennedy Meadows to Tahoe northbound).

      Thanks again for all the advice and help from the group.  I doubt that my hike would have gone as well without all that input!
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic