35059Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Hiking the JMT in October

  • Bill Hegardt
    Sep 17, 2013
      Here's one idea that occurred to me because it was mentioned on this forum a while back (I think). SF to Yosemite:
      Not exactly a back country experience though.

      - Bill

      On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 8:29 AM, kara8sweeney <kara8sweeney@...> wrote:

      If weather looks bad, I probably won't do the JMT. Any other recommendations for about a 200-mile hike in October, not too far from the Bay Area? I did the PCT last year, so I'm thinking maybe something different.... and something at a lower elevation so it's not so cold.... Recommendations greatly appreciated!
      Thanks for all the input!
      Kara

      > I guess that would be a problem;)! No worries, hopefully you get out in Oct.!
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Burke" <pburke@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'm 2000 miles away from the Lone Pine Ranger Station, so even if I wanted to hop over and grab a permit to do a short northbound, it's not going to happen unless I get all my ducks in a row and plan a 3 week absence from work (pesky nuisance). Can't be there 1pm tomorrow, sorry.
      > >
      > > October definitely means many hours hiking with headlamp and/or moon light.
      > >

      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hey Peter, I'll be hitting the trail at Whitney Portal around 1:00PM tomorrow for one last getaway, pack your gear up and lets rock a quick trip. I was going to do a fastpack of the whole trail, but with the lack of daylight hours in which to hike without using a headlamp, I'm opting for a 2-3 night trip starting at WP and going out over Kearsarge Pass. Guitar Lake is calling my name for some rock jumpin' and swimming!
      > > >
      > > > Whitney Permits are pretty easy to score right now as they are reporting a lot of no-shows, and havent been turning people away according to the ranger I spoke with.

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic