35035Re: [John Muir Trail] RE: Plan A becomes Plan B becomes Plan C

  • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
    Sep 15, 2013
      John,

      A day in the woods is worth a month on the city streets, at least that's how I look at it. You seem to have had a good time, and whether one finishes or not (what does it mean 'to finish' anyway) it is the journey that is important.

      I'll see you again next time round in SF.

      BTW. just about finished the report, now have to find a blog site to disseminate it.

      Ken.

      -

      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnladd@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi, Group - reporting in from Mammoth Lakes on night 17 of a 20-day NB trip..
      > >
      > > Plan A was hiking Northbound from New Army Pass to Crabtree (2 days)
      > > to Happy Isles (18 more days -- at least in my dreams). One resupply
      > > at MTR and tying to avoid seeing any wheeled vehicles or other signs
      > > of civilization at Reds Meadow or Tuolumne.
      > >
      > > Too hard. Thought I could do 12 miles per day and found that 10 was
      > > about the best I could do with a large load of food, etc.
      > >
      > > Plan B was to just hike North as far as I could in the same 20 total
      > > days and exit wherever I was and take public transportation or hitch
      > > to Yos vlley where Straw Marmot had ferried my car (leaving his at The
      > > Portal). Figured I culd reach TM and take the bus from there on a
      > > reopened 120 (ho long could it stay closed?).
      > >
      > > Plan C. In light of uncertainties about Tioga Road (resolved after I
      > > had already committed to "C"), I decided to exit at Reds at about 4 pm
      > > on my day 17 and hitch or public transit to TM and walk from there
      > > (with my remaining days 18, 19 and 20) to the Valley to reach the car.
      > > (Short enough daily mileage to allow at least one side trip)
      > >
      > > Turned out that public transit worked well (lluckily, I got to Reds on
      > > a Saturday), so I ditched the idea of hitching. and took the Postpile
      > > shuttle and YARTS
      > >
      > > I had wanted to avoid civilization for the full 20 days. But I have to
      > > admit that a 12 oz Ribeye, a couple of beers and a shower feel pretty
      > > good at the overpirced Mammoth Mtn Lodge.
      > >
      > > I have seen a number of members, but do noice that many people seem to
      > > be doing just fine withut our help.
      > >
      > > Had a dinner with Ray Rippell before heacing down the Golden Staircase
      > > (last part with a failing headlamp). Judging from the 10 lb camera
      > > he's carrying (I'm exaggerating, but not by much) he should have some
      > > great pics for the next edition of his PDF Guide to JMT planning and
      > > prep.
      > >
      > > Spent a night camped near Daryl Abrams and noted that Bob Shattuck and
      > > some other southbounders were wearng his new glove design (at his
      > > Palmflex website). They have the free fingertips that I prefer (thumb
      > > and first finger free on his) and good palm protection against falls,
      > > where the base of the palm can easily be injred.
      > >
      > > Had minor surgery on the trail thanks to a M.D. from Pennsylvania.
      > > Some kind of fingernail bacterial infection that apparently can get
      > > nasty if the accumuated pus is not expressed. I've been carrying a
      > > small surgical blade in sterile packaging for about the last 10 years
      > > and finally had a chance to have it used. He said I got the same
      > > treatment on the trail as I'd have gotten at an ER and the infection
      > > felt much better immediately after the on-trail procedure and has now
      > > resolved. Used a course of azithromycen (again carried many trips
      > > before it bvecame useful) as well as his tretment.

> [...]
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic