34946Re: [John Muir Trail] Posted an hour ago at Yosemite NPS about Hwy 120

  • robert shattuck
    Sep 9, 2013
      John,

      Just got home last night after a two-day hitch-hiking extravaganza. The 120 closure really mucked it up.

      Left LP on morning of the 7th. First ride to Independence, then after about two hours, a ride to Bishop, where ...

      ... I went to my usual stop at the north end of town--the shell station and stood there about two hours, then got the bright and desperate idea to splurge in a rental car.

      Unfortunately, after walking back through town, I found both rental companies to be closed for the weekend. Sucked.

      Walked back to the shell station, hot dehydrated, squinting headache. Stood in bishop for about six hours before a couple in a Prius at the station said they had to do some shopping but if I was still there, they'd give me a ride.

      An hour later, with more Mosquitos having dined on me than I ever encountered in the hills, the couple returned and graciously drove me all the way to Lee Vining---a few miles past their home.

      Headache raging, I got a room at the lovely, "El Mono Hotel" and next morning after another hour of thumb detail, a guy in a nice truck went out of his way to get me to truckee, so I could catch a train or bus.

      A few hours later, I found myself annoyed that I had chosen greyhound over Amtrak---you meet the nicest thugs on greyhound---got home around 1030 pm, showered, crashed hard.

      Anyway, the closing of 120 was a drag, but I got home.

      Also, note---I should have checked to see if there was a revised YARTS route, but did not.

      And at this time, a perfect commute would have been to hit LP on a Thursday, travel by ESTA on Friday then catch the weekend YARTS.

      Bob Shattuck JMT # 13 .... Just a lovely memory as I get back to emails and junk mail. Oh boy.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 7, 2013, at 2:08 PM, johndittli@... wrote:

      Yo Bob. Did you get info that the [upper Tioga] road will be open soon? I just came out at Tuolumne today and none of the Rangers relayed any such info....

      John

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hurrah,

      just got into Lone Pine after an amazing morning on Whitney and the end of JMT #13 . . . ran into John Ladd going up Glen in a nasty thunder storm. hope he didn't have to bail. I am looking forward to maybe a night in Lee Vining, tomorrow and then thumbing into the Valley via now open 120 on sunday . . . meanwhile the charms (and laundry) of lone pine await.

      Bob Shattuck

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: roleigh@...
      Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 14:28:47 -0400
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Posted an hour ago at Yosemite NPS about Hwy 120

      Posted an hour ago at Yosemite NPS facebook page:

      Great news - Highway 120 west of Yosemite and the Big Oak Flat Road reopens today at noon! Yosemite Valley will be accessible. Along with the road, the Big Oak Flat Information Station will also open. The Hodgdon Meadow and Crane Flat Campgrounds remain closed, as do the Tuolumne and Merced Groves of Giant Sequoias. Additionally, the Tioga Road will remain closed between Crane Flat and 1.5 miles east of White Wolf through this weekend as firing operations continue. View the news release:http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/bofreopens13.htm

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic