      From: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com [mailto:johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dittli-Goethals
      Sent: Monday, August 26, 2013 8:36 PM
      To: JMT Yahoo Group
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Fences on Trail?

      Some hikers will leave the gates open for various reasons, they should always be closed. If a packer arrives via a different trail, they don't check all the gates before letting the stock graze. If gates are left open, stock can wander off in some cases all the way back to the pack station. In other cases they can wander into fragile places there not supposed to be.

      On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 8:17 PM, Bill Heiser <bill@...> wrote:

      I was wondering ... what is the protocol for closing these gates?  I figured "leave it as I found it" is probably best.

      <snip>

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic