34695[John Muir Trail] Re: Fences on Trail?

  • kennethjessett@sbcglobal.net
    Aug 27, 2013
      Roleigh,

      I suppose I was really commenting on the top half and the supplies to the HSC's.

      I did meet a Chinese group who were planning to resupply over Kearsage via packers, so I suppose there is not much option there.

      I expect any day now, John Ladd will offer to set-up a resupply depot along the bottom half of the trail using llamas to bring the food in. I can see him standing on the side of an escarpment wearing a kilt and playing the pipes to draw the curious traveller and seduce them with his ghee, pigs fat and other similarly horrible stuff.

      Ken.

      > Ken
      >
      > Those who use packers in the southern half -- most of them carry their own
      > food and tents. It's just that they can't carry 11-13 days worth of food.
      > I doubt if the young people are carrying 11-13 days of food too.
      >
      > I stayed overnight with Pine Creek Pack Station -- more and more is the
      > case these days where packers are doing supply drops than servicing groups
      > with everything so they don't have to carry anything.
      >
      > In those cases where they are servicing groups with everything, it is often
      > local people who live in California.
      >
      > Roleigh

      > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
      > _
      >

      > On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM, kennethjessett@... <
      > kenjessett@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I doubt if you are in the minority, it's just that there is little one can
      > > do about it. I'd much rather not have to hike over a dust trail churned by
      > > horse and mule hooves or have to try to avoid their droppings and piss
      > > pools, but I doubt if that is going to change any time soon.
      > >
      > > All the high sierra camps are served by mule trains, so that the few who
      > > don't want to carry their own food and tents, can enjoy the 'wilderness'.
      > >
      > > Ken.
      > >

      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I only leave them open around areas where there is a cliff for them to
      > > fall down...only kidding;)...maybe. I am with Nancy though, if the gate is
      > > that difficult to close, and the horse owners haven't done the proper
      > > repairs, I'm not going out of my way to get it closed. Other than for trail
      > > repairs, horses are a nuisance in the backcountry, just my opinion, and yes
      > > I'm sure I'm in the minority on this.

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic