34692Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Fences on Trail?

    Aug 27, 2013
      Ken

      Those who use packers in the southern half -- most of them carry their own food and tents.  It's just that they can't carry 11-13 days worth of food.  I doubt if the young people are carrying 11-13 days of food too.

      I stayed overnight with Pine Creek Pack Station -- more and more is the case these days where packers are doing supply drops than servicing groups with everything so they don't have to carry anything.

      In those cases where they are servicing groups with everything, it is often local people who live in California.

      Roleigh

      _

      On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM, kennethjessett@... <kenjessett@...> wrote:

      I doubt if you are in the minority, it's just that there is little one can do about it. I'd much rather not have to hike over a dust trail churned by horse and mule hooves or have to try to avoid their droppings and piss pools, but I doubt if that is going to change any time soon.

      All the high sierra camps are served by mule trains, so that the few who don't want to carry their own food and tents, can enjoy the 'wilderness'.

      Ken.

      > I only leave them open around areas where there is a cliff for them to fall down...only kidding;)...maybe. I am with Nancy though, if the gate is that difficult to close, and the horse owners haven't done the proper repairs, I'm not going out of my way to get it closed. Other than for trail repairs, horses are a nuisance in the backcountry, just my opinion, and yes I'm sure I'm in the minority on this.

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic