34658Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Sierra storms

    Aug 25 11:21 PM
      I'm not sure how Barbara does it, but one way to access the NWS
      warnings is to go to weather.com and search for the location

      mono hot springs, ca

      It is near Lakes Edison and Florence, so roughly mid-trial (lower
      elevation, though, than most of the trail)

      If there is an active weather warning, weather.com will link you to it
      near the top of the page

      Right now (actually 8:30 pm tonight - Sunday) that warning link leads
      your to this NWS statement

      ... THUNDERSTORM THREAT RETURNS TO THE MOUNTAINS AND DESERT THIS WEEK...

      TROPICAL MOISTURE WILL MOVE INTO THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA INTERIOR THIS
      WEEK AND HELP FUEL THUNDERSTORMS OVER THE HIGHER TERRAIN. THE MOISTURE
      WILL FIRST ARRIVE IN THE KERN COUNTY MOUNTAINS AND DESERT MONDAY THEN
      SPREAD NORTHWARD INTO THE SIERRA TUESDAY AND LINGER THROUGH THE END OF
      THE WEEK. ALTHOUGH THUNDERSTORMS WILL GENERALLY BE CONFINED TO THE
      HIGHER ELEVATIONS... ONE OR TWO THUNDERSTORMS COULD WANDER INTO THE
      SIERRA FOOTHILLS TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

      IN ADDITION TO DANGEROUS CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING... THUNDERSTORMS
      CAN BRING HEAVY RAIN AND LOCALIZED FLOODING ALONG WITH GUSTY AND
      ERRATIC WINDS.

      HIKERS... CAMPERS AND OUTDOOR ENTHUSIASTS SHOULD MONITOR THE LATEST
      FORECASTS FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FOR UPDATES ON THIS
      DEVELOPING PATTERN.

      Or go to this link and scan down to see if there is a warning for the
      Sierra between Yosemite and Kings Canyon

      That page now reads

      CAZ094-096-097-261200-
      TULARE COUNTY FOOTHILLS-
      SIERRA NEVADA FROM YOSEMITE TO KINGS CANYON-
      TULARE COUNTY MOUNTAINS-
      930 PM PDT SUN AUG 25 2013

      ...AFTERNOON AND EVENING THUNDERSTORMS POSSIBLE MONDAY THROUGH
      SATURDAY...

      THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF
      THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA AND THE TULARE COUNTY FOOTHILLS.

      .DAY ONE...TONIGHT

      NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED.

      .DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY

      AFTERNOON AND EVENING THUNDERSTORMS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH SATURDAY.
      FOR DETAILS PLEASE SEE THE LATEST SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
      /SFOSPSHNX/.

      That last reference leads you (via a Google search) to

      http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/total_forecast/getprod.php?prod=SFOSPSHNX&wfo=cnrfc&version=0

      which now reads the same as you'd find on the link provided by weather.com

      Sometimes this weather research feels like more trouble than it's
      worth. Over the course of a long hike, I figure I'm likely to see some
      bad weather. Exactly when it appears and how long it lasts isn't all
      that critical assuming I am ready for it.

      :

      .
      San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      415-648-9279

      On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Luke <untilthenlwt@...> wrote:

      > Hi Barbara,
      >
      > What weather resource(s) are you getting the forecasts from?
      >
      > Thanks, Luke.
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...>
      > wrote:
      >>
      >> Hazardous warnings as of 6:40pm tonight
      >>
      >> AT 642 PM PDT...NUMEROUS STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WERE OCCURRING OVER
      >> THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA...FOOTHILLS...AND EASTERN SAN JOAQUIN
      >> VALLEY AREAS.
      >>
      >> HAIL UP TO THE SIZE OF PENNIES AND WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH ARE
      >> EXPECTED WITH THESE STORMS...ALONG WITH HEAVY RAIN AND FREQUENT
      >> DANGEROUS LIGHTNING.
      >> Chance of rain 60% in Tuolumne and Reds areas tonight, 50% tomorrow,
      >> decreasing to 20% Weds and clear by Thursday. Stay safe!

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic