34621Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Smoke from Rim Fire

    Aug 24, 2013
      I got a call from straw_marmot saying that he could see and smell smoke and even see flames in the NW corner of Yosemite NP (Crane Flat area and further NW) but that -- presently at least -- he thought that smoke would be, at worst, a minor annoyance along the JMT. Wind at present sending smoke to the NE and therefore veering away from the JMT (A wind from the NW would be the worst for the JMT)

      He's planning on a short hike in the Glen Aulin area of the park, despite the smoke, before starting his Southbound JMT. (He's leaving his car at Whitney Portal and driving mine to Yosemite Valley on the 27th, so we are each walking toward our own cars.)

      He asked me to pass this on the the Group as he did not have web access.