34605Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Smoke from Rim Fire

    Aug 23, 2013
      The LA Times today reports

      The Rim fire near Yosemite National Park has grown to 105,620 acres -- or roughly 165 square miles -- in its sixth day of burning largely out of control through steep, rugged terrain.

      Gov. Jerry Brown on Thursday declared a state of emergency as the wildfire spread in two directions. Having already destroyed nine structures, the fire was just 2% contained as of Friday, according to the U.S. Forest Service.

      The fire in the Stanislaus National Forest also brought additional evacuation orders from the Tuolumne County Sheriff's Office as flames moved west toward homes in Pine Mountain Lake and west toward Camp Mather, which is near the border of Yosemite.

      Sounds like this fire is far worse than the Aspen fire.  Is this affecting any JMT hikers, or is it projected to possibly affect them?

      _

      On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Gail <forgetwho@...> wrote:

      Consistent with that, here is a comment posted after an article about the fire published today in The Guardian:

      "nvmitch

      23 August 2013 10:16pm

      I'm about 60 miles east of Reno, which is over 150 miles north of Yosemite. Smoke from this fire blew in yesterday afternoon and the weather people expect it to last through at least tomorrow. In Reno schools have cancelled all outdoor activities, street fairs have been cancelled, and the health dept. is advising people to stay inside. There are several smaller fires closer to us, but they are not the problem. The wind is blowing the Yosemite smoke right at us and there is so much of it! It doesn't bode well for the forests and wildlife down there."

      The article itself (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/23/wildfire-spreads-yosemite-national-park-california) says the fire is 20 miles from Yosemite Valley and that there is no smoke at all in the Valley.

      Gail

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "debrabrownbear" <debrabrownbear@...> wrote:

      > Long story short...had to bail out SOBO at VVR due to a nasty and painful infected big toe, spent a couple of days at home up to my ears in antibiotics and Epsom salt footbaths, and today drove over Sonora pass west to east, thinking to hole up at June lake until my toe is ready to roll again, and then may try going back to the JMT over Kearsarge. All that aside...the smoke beginning at about 1000' in the foothills is terrible. All the way up and over the 9600' Sonora pass it's very smoky. Sitting in Bridgeport having a burger, and can see the smoke leaking out into the east side of the Sierra through the Levitt and Walker drainages. Looks good so far to the south. A friend of mine in Groveland and reports winds from the SW, which explains what I'm seeing here.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic