34562Re: Sierra storms

  • straw_marmot
    Aug 23, 2013
      Yes indeed. I was out in this on Tuesday night. I did a little trip in Yosemite to warm up and test gear for my JMT. Started at Glacier point, up Illilouette, crossed over into Ansel Adams at Fernandez Pass, and back around into Yosemite via Post Peak Pass. My plan for Tuesday was to camp at the two no-name lakes just north of Post Peak Pass below Isberg Peak as I came back into Yosemite.

      The storms were brewing as I crossed Post Peak pass, but I hurried over, more nervous of hail than of lightning as the route isn't super-exposed, just no shelter. As I came down toward the lakes, on a barren plain, I realized that things were getting bad. I found the best spot I could for lightning safety at the bottom of a shallow slope sheltered by a few bushes, got my tent up in what I thought was heavy rain... then the REAL rain started. Six hours non-stop. Lightning strikes over and over again for several minutes at a time as each CB came through. I lost count at 40 strikes within a mile of me.

      But the great thing was waking up to glorious sunshine and low humidity, my tent was bone dry by 8:30 am and my shoes were dried out after half an hour on the trail.

      Ralph

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Karagosian <barbara@...> wrote:

      > Hazardous warnings as of 6:40pm tonight
      >
      > AT 642 PM PDT...NUMEROUS STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WERE OCCURRING OVER
      > THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA...FOOTHILLS...AND EASTERN SAN JOAQUIN
      > VALLEY AREAS.
      >
      > HAIL UP TO THE SIZE OF PENNIES AND WIND GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH ARE
      > EXPECTED WITH THESE STORMS...ALONG WITH HEAVY RAIN AND FREQUENT
      > DANGEROUS LIGHTNING.
      > Chance of rain 60% in Tuolumne and Reds areas tonight, 50% tomorrow, decreasing to 20% Weds and clear by Thursday. Stay safe!

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic