34472Re: Still a few short questions before I'm off

  • longritchie
    Aug 20, 2013
      That's not the official documentation. That's just a web page. If you navigate a bit you can find a lot more detail on the nps website but I don't believe it's all there.

      I also assumed the "can" and "may" legalese idea held until it was pointed out to me that there is a map on the same website that contradicts this. So on the website it's ambiguous. But a number of people asking different rangers all get the same answer: a HI->LYV permit requires you to stay in LYV the first night. The regulation must be written somewhere but maybe not available on-line to the public.

      Here's a question a friend asked me last year. I thought I knew the answer but he convinced me I was wrong. Ready? Under what circumstances do you need a permit to day hike in YNP?

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <groundhogsteve@...> wrote:
      > Basic legalese: Both "can" and "may" are permissive but not restrictive. If they wanted to make you stay the first night at LYV, they would use "must".
      > I would say it's clear that you don't have to stay at LYV the first night, but of course then you also have to adhere to the other rules about getting beyond the Half Dome Trail jct, etc.
      > IANAL.
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Bill Heiser <bill@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The official documentation is here, though it uses words like "can" and
      > > "may", so it's not as clear as one might like ...
      > >
      > > http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/lyv.htm

    • Show all 42 messages in this topic