34461Re: Steripen

  • casey
    Aug 20, 2013
      I use the Steripen Ultra. It's a little heavier than some of the other models. It has rechargable batteries, recharged by usb, I can recharge with my solar charger. Doesn't require a wide mouth container, it will fit inside a standard size water bottle or Platypus bag. You place the end of it in the bottle and turn it upside down, it seals and treats the water, 90 seconds for 1 1/2 liters.

      > When I treat water, that's what I use. This has been the second season
      > for me with the pen, works fast and well. 50 liters per battery is
      > pushing it, count on 40+. You will need a wide mouth transparent bottle.
      > I use a clean cloth (bandana) for pre-filtering lake water.
      > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
      > <http://www.johndittli.com>
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Arn wrote:
      > >
      > > Has anyone taken only a steripen for water treatment? I have a
      > filter, and boil my water for meals, but it would be nice to just pull
      > out a steripen to sterlize a bottle of water real quick on the trail and
      > keep moving. I don't have a steripen yet, but I am considering
      > purchasing one.
      > >
      > > Kyle

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic