33961Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Smoke In Yosemite From Fires

  • Ray Rippel
    Aug 4, 2013
      Thanks!

      On Aug 4, 2013, at 4:31 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

      OK - found it, I think. Wenk has a campsite there also - her 1.12. She shows the campsite as

      11S 284015E 4182454N (NAD27)

      and describes it as "large opening in dense forest alongside Sunrise Creek" elevation is 8600

      On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:

      Hi John. That's the wrong spot. If you follow the trail back in a southwesterly direction where it crosses Sunrise Creek around 8600', and see where the zig-zag of the switchbacks start, the spring on the left of the trail is right at the beginning of those switchbacks. Its easy to miss if you're focused on the climb, but it is great tasting unfiltered water! There are others along that section that feed Sunrise Creek as well. There is also water in the creek that you mentioned as well, but it is running pretty low as of last week.

      > On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Robert <rnperky@...> wrote:
      >
      > > There are several small springs that feed the creek, with a very obvious
      > > smaller one right off the trail on your way up the steeper climb before the
      > > crest that drops you down to Sunrise High Sierra Camp. If you are hiking
      > > towards TM, it is bubbling out on your left hand side.
      >

      > John/Robert --
      >
      > Maybe just above and to the right of the '3' on the map below. If so, it is
      > near Wenk campsite 1.16, which she describes as "to the east of creek
      > beneath hemlocks and a few lodgepole pines; excellent views "
      >
      > NAD27 (used on the TH JMT maps) coordinates should be about 11S 285
      > 567E 4185 010N
      >
      > Wenk gives her 1.16 Campsite NAD27 coordinates of 11S 285 635E 4184 995N
      >

      > [image: Inline image 1]
      >
      > Google maps link would be
      >
      > https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201443045645406442219.0004d8629a8db26cdde6e&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.793609,-119.433403&spn=0.029199,0.038581&t=p&z=15&vpsrc=6&iwloc=0004e326e0f47a9f70893
      >
      > If link does not work, paste into a browser
      >
      > https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=201443045645406442219.0004d8629a8db26cdde6e&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=37.793609,-119.433403&spn=0.029199,0.038581&t=p&z=15&vpsrc=6&iwloc=0004e326e0f47a9f70893
      >
      > Sure looks like a spring on the map though it isn't labeled as such. If
      > it's the one you mean, it feeds into Cathedral Fork of the Merced rather
      > than into Sunrise Creek
      >
      > John Curran Ladd
      > 1616 Castro Street
      > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707