33944Re: Smoke In Yosemite From Fires

  • Robert
    Aug 4, 2013
      I also ran in to Jim White and his family going up the switchbacks by Sunrise Creek. He is a fellow JMT Yahoo-er.

      FWIW, some small creeks were starting to run dry, but Sunrise is spring fed and still flowing, if anyone needs water fill up info for that section. There is also a spring that is still running strong on the downhill switchbacks going down to TM.

      > I just finished a 70+ mile convoluted loop hike in the TM, Vogelsang, Isberg Pass, Red Peak Pass, and Merced River area of Yosemite. We exited via the JMT at TM. The smoke from the forest fires was pretty nasty early in the mornings as it settled into the valleys, but usually improved as the breezes picked up and carried it generally eastward. We would wake up thinking someone had a campfire going near us! But would look out and see the thick haze. Be careful if you have any respiratory conditions.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic