33597[John Muir Trail] Re: Don't avoid caffeine on the trial

  • longritchie
    Jul 28, 2013
      Medaglia d'Oro is an instant coffee. It's made of coffee and almost no moisture. So it's just as concentrated as any other dry instant coffee.

      Caffeine content is another matter and I haven't seen specific numbers for different instant coffees. But in general instant coffee contains less caffeine than fresh brewed coffee.

      As for what tastes better that's subjective. I used to drink Medaglia when backpacking believing it tasted better than Starbucks VIA. Of course I dump sugar and cream into my instant coffee to mask their raw flavors. Then one day I tried VIA and Medaglia side by side, both black, and I came to a different conclusion.

      > For fellow caffeine addicts who are looking for good instant coffee, I recently discovered Medaglia d'Oro instant espresso. It is the only type of instant coffee that I actually like after trying many different brands. An added benefit is that this is super concentrated coffee so a very small amount of it goes a long way, takes little space, and weighs next to nothing per serving. It is not cheap at around $4 for only two ounces but might be worth a try for anyone who has yet to find appealing instant coffee and doesn't want to deal with brewed coffee on the trail.

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic