33573Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: Don't avoid caffeine on the trial

  • Bill Heiser
    Jul 28, 2013
      In general I avoid caffeine on the trail.  At least on my thru-hike last summer I had trouble sleeping most nights, and I was concerned that caffeine would just aggravate the situation.

      I did drink Starbucks Via with breakfast on a few days though.  It's probably not a coincidence that those days were my highest mileage days, as much as double what I typically did.

      I assume everyone responds differently, but for me the coffee in the morning gave me more endurance to crank out the miles - helpful in sections where I had a distant destination in mind or where I had a high pass to cross.

      July 28, 2013 12:26 PM

      In addition to instant coffee, I like chocolate covered coffee beans. They provide a good boost late in the day and can substitute for coffee if you don't want to boil water.

      > This article very effectively debunks the idea that you should avoid
      > caffeine at high elevations. In fact, it may well be helpful.
      >
      > Personally, I hate caffeine withdrawal headaches, but don't want to boil
      > water for coffee/tea. So I bring caffeine tablets (like NoDoz) and take two
      > every morning. Also, it gets me going.
      >
      > Hacket, Peter J (Institute for Altitude Medicine, Telluride, CO.) Caffeine
      > at High Altitude: Java at Base Camp, HIGH ALTITUDE MEDICINE & BIOLOGY
      > Volume 11, Number 1, 2010
      >
      > http://www.altitudemedicine.org/publications/Caffeine%20at%20High%20Altitude.pdf
      >
      > John Curran Ladd
      > 1616 Castro Street
      > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707
      > 415-648-9279

      July 28, 2013 8:42 AM

      This article very effectively debunks the idea that you should avoid caffeine at high elevations. In fact, it may well be helpful.

      Personally, I hate caffeine withdrawal headaches, but don't want to boil water for coffee/tea. So I bring caffeine tablets (like NoDoz) and take two every morning. Also, it gets me going.

      Hacket, Peter J (Institute for Altitude Medicine, Telluride, CO.)  Caffeine at High Altitude: Java at Base Camp, HIGH ALTITUDE MEDICINE & BIOLOGY Volume 11, Number 1, 2010

      http://www.altitudemedicine.org/publications/Caffeine%20at%20High%20Altitude.pdf

      San Francisco, CA  94114-3707