33533Re: [John Muir Trail] Route Planning Advice

  • Chris
    Jul 26, 2013

      I'm in a similar situation: At the SOBO end of the JMT, I'll camp 2 nights near Crabtree Meadow, allowing a full day hike to the top of Mt Whitney and back down to Crabtree, then I'll hike west out the High Sierra Trail to Giant Forest (the civilized part of Sequoia NP). Next day, bus to Visalia, where my wife picks me up.

      I agree the Mt Whitney end is not-to-be-missed, and you would regret skipping this section. I think the idea of taking the 1 or 1.5 day hike from Onion Valley to Road's End make's sense. Alternatively, if you didn't want to go down into civilization for the night, you could do something similar to what I'm doing, and just hike back over Forester Pass and down to Road's End. But that is quite a bit more walking.

      Good luck!

      > I haven't done this, but I've been n most of these trails and it does sound
      > like a very feasible option assuming Jim counted the miles right (24 miles
      > sounds right, but I didn't confirm the number).

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic