33405Re: Sawyer Permethrin (anti-mosquito clothing treatment)

  • billjbill29
    Jul 24, 2013
      I used the spray a couple weeks age prior to a hike. There were few mosquitoes and none seemed to want to land on the clothing. I'd like to see how the treatment performs in concentrated areas of mosquitoes. Other bugs didn't seem to mind the permethrin and could be found crawling on my clothing.

      > Just returned from Alaska watching brown bears feast on spawning salmon at
      > Brooks Camp in Katmai National Park. Lots of people miserable and/or
      > wearing headnets.
      > My wife and I had permethrin treated head-to-toe clothing -- including
      > socks, thin gloves, a Buff (neck gaiter) for me or a scarf for her, hats,
      > etc and just a very little DEET and were bite-free for many hours in very
      > heavy mosquitoes.
      > I really, really recommend the stuff if you are hiking in July or August
      > (at least early August). I use it as a soak-in product, but have no reason
      > to think the spray-on wouldn't work equally well (though you do need a LOT
      > of it and it is not cheap)
      > http://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz
      > John Curran Ladd
      > 1616 Castro Street