33381Re: [John Muir Trail] Sawyer Permethrin (anti-mosquito clothing treatment)

  • marian21cohen
    Jul 24 10:01 AM
      So… we're starting on the trail SOBO on Jul 30, planning to exit on Aug 21. 'To Permethrin or not to Permethrin', that is the question. We have head nets and will be wearing trekking pole gloves, long-sleeved shirts and pants, (socks, obviously!) and boots.

      An additional concern about Permethrin treatment is that for most of the day, we'll be wearing our shirts right next to our bodies, with no base layer between skin and shirt. When our shirts get wet with sweat, and are pressed against our body, will our skin be absorbing the Permethrin?

      John and others, for our particular dates and this particular season, do you think we will regret *not* treating our clothes?

      We're planning to take a small amount of Deet, anyway, just in case - although, again, would much rather not use it. And I'm confused as to whether we should we take 98% Deet which they sell at REI or 30% Deet?

      We leave for Yosemite on Friday, so have to make these decisions soon. All input would be greatly appreciated!

      Marian and Steve

      > On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 6:15 AM, Allen C <acurrano@...> wrote:
      >
      > > "Q. When should I consider repellent clothing?
      > > Permethrin is the only chemical repellent registered for use on clothing,
      > > shoes, nets and camping gear. It is more toxic than repellents approved for
      > > direct skin application.
      > >

      > I read this to be a reason that permethrin is used on clothing, rather than
      > directly applied to the skin.
      >
      > In terms of toxic-to-you you can use a more toxic material, but expose your
      > clothes to it rather than directly apply it to your skin, or use a less
      > toxic material directly on the skin. So more toxic but less direct contact.
      > This may be a reason to treat outer clothes but not inner ones like
      > baselayer.
      >
      > But I do agree that the Environmental Working Group doesn't seem to like
      > the stuff.
      >
      > John Curran Ladd
      > 1616 Castro Street
      > San Francisco, CA 94114-3707