33253Re: Ride from Lone Pine to LA or Lancaster

  • fortunateblessings
    Jul 19, 2013
      (off topic: riffing on the UL hang glider joke)

      This is definitely worth a look.

      This guy might be able to help you out, if you need to get back over to the other side of the range.

      http://vimeo.com/69642110

      The first ever complete crossing east to west using a paraglider took place July 1 this year. I'd be interested to know whether anyone noticed him going overhead. He crossed the JMT just south of Forester Pass.

      Mark

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "jj442434" <jj442434@...> wrote:

      > Yeah we'd be leaving Guitar Lake on the 23rd though, so unless we hang glide down from the summit of Mt. Whitney, I don't think we could get to Lone Pine by 9:40 am. Unless anyone here knows of an ultra-light collapsible hang glider...
      >
      > In all seriousness, talking to other hikers sounds like a good idea, but I'll have a friend with me, which might hinder our chances of getting a ride. It's a good last resort, but I'd prefer to have something set up.
      >
      > And Bob- thanks for answering my questions, in this thread, and the one that came before this. You have been very helpful
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, robert shattuck <bobolonius@> wrote:
      > >
      > > "leaving Whitney Portal or Lone Pine headed south late on the 23rd or anytime on the 24th?"
      > > August 23rd is a friday . . . check your calendar to be sure . . . it also appears that there's an ESTA bus leaving Lone Pine at 9:40 a.m., arriving in Lancaster at 12:45 p.m.
      > > Do your research by checking out the "395 route" schedule, here:
      > > http://www.estransit.com/CMS/content/395-routes
      > > otherwise, should you come down on Saturday . . . thumb or . . . Usually, the last two or three days, once you get over glen and you're headed for Forester, there are a lot of hikers headed out and headed south . . .just keep your ears open to the conversations around you––like when you're all huddled up there on Forester or Whitney––and someone mentions driving south, ask about a possible ride. Can't hurt––I've got a few rides this way––plus meeting someone before you jump in car with them to drive for 5-6 hours, isn't a bad idea.
      > > BOBhttp://www.summitpost.org/plans/view_activity.php?post_id=6480

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic