33195Re: tent sites at Rosalie and Gladys Lakes?

  • casey
    Jul 17, 2013
      I was at Gladys Lake last night, camped at the last tent site on the north side. Mosquitoes weren't bad at all until 7 p.m. or so. Not bothersome even then. My traveling companion slept out on his groundcloth. They were really bad going up Island Pass.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "krishna9012" <krishna9012@...> wrote:

      > Did any one try camping at Trinity Lakes a little further down from Rosalie and Gladys? How are those camp sites/ Thanks!
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
      > >

      > > "Yes, mosquitos are a problem this time of year. Mosquito conditions at Gladys Lake are currently no different from any other lake, including the iconic Thousand Island Lake."
      > >
      > > This is probably true! I just know of the three worst locations I have ever camped along the JMT over the years, Gladys Lake was on top! Followed very closely by Tully Hole and Wallace Creek. Honorable mention: Arrowhead Lake: ) ! As usual, timing was probably everything with skeeter season, and its one reason I normally hike in mid-August to avoid them now!
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Alex Cheng <ralexcheng@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I would disagree with Robert regarding Gladys Lake.  Personally, I like Gladys because it's an easy 6 mile mostly downhill (with the exception being a .25 mile uphill at the very beginning) hike to Reds.  When I do this hike in the morning, I find no need to stop to rest or take a drink - and when I reach Reds, I don't even feel the slightest bit tired.  This hike will take about 2 hours past thousands of recently downed fir trees.  Although the trail has been cleared, it's definitely not among the most beautiful JMT scenery you'll see.  Once I get to Reds, I can shower, get resupplied and continue on to Deer Creek.
      > > >
      > > > From Rosalie Lake, or especially Shadow Lake, there is a slightly moderate uphill climb to get to Gladys.
      > > >
      > > > Another reason I like camping at Gladys Lake is because it's got a few very good campsites, with easy water access (including for swimming).  Here is a description of the 5 sites at Gladys that I'm personally familiar with - from best to worst.
      > > > (1)  Best!  On south side of Gladys Lake (and east side of JMT trail), pass through the campsite designated for stock, then pass by another campsite - until you reach a campsite that has at least 3 flat areas for tents.  This site has a easy path to the lake and if you look in the opposite direction of the lake, there is a very nice view of a huge canyon.
      > > > (2)  On the south side of Gladys Lake (and east of side of JMT trail), the first campsite past the campsite designated for stock.  This campsite also has at least 3 flat areas for tents.  It has a easy path to the lake, but does not have a nice view of the canyon behind it, just a rock outcropping.
      > > > (3)  On the south side of Gladys Lake (and east of the JMT trail), this 'stock only campsite' is good, but not great.  Very little residue from stock animals, so you know it's not heavily used by stock animals.  Does not have views, not particularly easy access to water and it's a little close to the JMT trail.
> [...]
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic