33160Re: Recommendations for First Timer - One Week (5-6 Day) Trip on JMT

  • marketScience
    Jul 17, 2013
      When I hiked, I passed a handful of people. There are a couple very nice places to camp at Rae Lakes. One site had bear boxes and a half dozen tents, other camping sites were empty. I was there last August. I have no info on the access trail (onion?) or no jmt trails or camping areas.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "rlm9004" <rlm9004@...> wrote:

      > Thanks. I checked it out, and meets all my requirements except it seems like a very popular hike. How many people will I encounter on the trail and/or at the campsites? Any ideas where there would be fewer people?
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "marketScience" <marketscience@> wrote:
      > >
      > > You may want to look at Rae Lakes Loop/Glenn Pass. One of the more beautiful spots you will find anywhere.
      > >

      > > http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/rae-lakes-loop.htm
      > >

      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "rlm9004" <rlm9004@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Looking to end up near the Whitney Portal, but not interested in going there. Wondering about good entry and how much distance I can make by myself and 25-30 pack. Decent shape with good vertical experience.
      > > >
      > > > Can someone give me ideas where to start and end? Would love to avoid mosquitos (starting around Aug 5th), and see some cool sights.
      > > >
      > > > Also, a little unsure about getting permit based on starting location.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic