33101Re: tent sites at Rosalie and Gladys Lakes?

  • Herb
    Jul 15, 2013
      I believe the preference along the JMT proper is to use established sites. Although that causes overuse of some areas, it prevents the proliferation of camp sites.

      Having said that, if you go off trail a reasonable distance and camp on a hard or non-living surfaces that will not be impacted by your stay, I think most would find that ethical. As you suggest, the site should be left such that visually it does not appear to have been used. Don't walk to and from your camp using the same path in order to prevent 'social trailing'.

      Herb

      > Is there a consensus on whether it is appropriate to camp in "pristine" areas - that is, where an obvious camp has not been previously made at the location? As far as I know, there is no prohibition against doing so along the JMT as long as the area itself allows camping.
      >
      > Where I normally backpack, "pristine" camping is permitted but the rule is that you can only stay in such locations for one night which is fine with me. On the couple of occasions when I have done this, I have avoided camping on sensitive vegetation and have left the location in the same state that it was in before to avoid creating a new "established site".
      >
      > The advantages of not using established sites include: more solitude which is sometimes (not always) desirable, more comfortable place to sleep since the site isn't compacted, usually easier to stake out the shelter, lower probability of unwanted animal encounters, and well located sites seem to drain better than compacted sites when it rains.
      >
      > I thought of asking about this due to the reference to "hardened" sites at Rosalie lake ...
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Rosalie has lots of good spots to camp. I wouldn't bother with Gladys as it is a bit marshy and usually one big bug-fest! There are many established, hardened camp sites at Rosalie. A few on the right side, downhill from the trail as you crest the ridge, ( SOBO ), and a number of spots on your left near the outlet and beyond.

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic