33071[John Muir Trail] Re: Current water availability and stream crossings

  • Robert
    Jul 14, 2013
      Sriprank, thanks! I will probably want a bear box the first night as all of my food and first aid kit probably won't fit in my bearcan. Was the creek still flowing at Lower Tent Meadows last year when you were there. I remember a few side creeks crossing the trail before hitting Lower Tent Mdw, but they looked pretty seasonal. The only one I am counting on for water is the LTM creek. I have heard Lower Tent Mdws is known for the bears that hang out around there. It's good to hear they don't have to live off human food! Good to know about the Sphinx Creek Jct. That may have been pushing it a bit for a 11 - noon start at Onion Valley! Thanks again.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "sriprank" <sriprank@...> wrote:

      > Junction Meadow is nice. Closer you get to Sphinx Juction you get Bears-Bears-and more Bears. There used to be Campgrounds at Charlotte Creek and Sphinx (with bear boxes) but didn't see them last year but we were moving. I did the same thing last year and we went over Kersarge late in the afternoon and made it down to Kersarge Lakes. Next day started early and it was HOT!!! Made it to Roads End and up to Lower Tent Meadow. Going up Copper Creek there are beautiful wild bears (the one eating berries and not snickers)
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
      > >
      > > John, Yes, Grouse Lake on the 17th! I get a bonus night somewhere along Bubbs Creek, as I am coming in the day before over Kearsarge. Getting a later start than I would like, but am shooting for somewhere between Viddette Mdw. and Sphinx Creek Jct. on the 16th. Any recommendations for decent camping in that neck of the woods? Are you going to be traipsing around up in that area during that time?
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Joe MacLeish" <jmacleish@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > John:
      > > >
      > > > We (Robert) are/is planning 5-6 days for the whole thing. He has done it
      > > > before, I haven't.
      > > >
      > > > Joe

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic