33006Re: [John Muir Trail] How much protein

  • john_friend
    Jul 12, 2013
      If you choose 1.7 grams per kilogram body mass, that's a lot of protein. For a 180 lb person, that would be 139g of protein per day. For a 200lb person that's 154g. That's a lot. At 1.5, that's 116g or 136g for the same two weights - still a lot.

      Might there be a significant difference between an elite athlete with a lot of existing muscle to maintain and actively trying to build more muscle, then perhaps your average weekend warrior exerting themselves heavily on the JMT and just trying to support their effort?

      I found it very frustrating when planning my JMT food that there is not well agreed upon science for what the goal is. Actually I've been frustrated about this for the last 10 years in my own regular food planning, but it was brought to the forefront again with my JMT planning.

      --John

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "kellymelissaray" <kellymelissaray@...> wrote:

      > For what it's worth, I've been doing a bit of reading/research lately on sports nutrition (work project and personal interest). As far as I can tell, from sources that appear to be grounded in scientific literature, the per-kilogram protein needs for an athletic individual is somewhere between 1.2 and 1.7 grams. (For sedentary adults, the level appears closer to 0.8g.) Endurance athletes (JMT hikers) are likely skewed toward the higher end of this scale because they actually derive some of their energy for hiking from their protein intake, in addition to needing the protein for maintaining and building muscle mass, etc. Note that this is not a percentage of total daily calories. No matter if I'm burning 3000 or 5000 calories a day...my protein needs are darn near identical, which kind of makes sense. A person has only so much muscle mass to maintain.
    • Show all 38 messages in this topic