32938RE: [John Muir Trail] Mild Panic - Bear canister delivery "delayed"
- Jul 10, 2013
I'm around the corner up off Bollinger. Bollinger Hills . I am at 2529 Wildhorse Drive just above Bollinger at Paddock.
How funny....I'm out at the last stop light in town bollinger and crow canyon above deerwood.
Coincidence? I live in San Ramon, I also have a free Garcia for whoever wants to use it, and I just received my weekender Bearikade.
Call the Dublin REI store and I saw them on the shelf there two days ago. If BART is over its little strike you can BART it to Dublin and get it. You can also try Sport's Chalet.....
If not...you can borrow my Garcia for free. I live 20 minutes from Berkeley in San Ramon. I am waiting on a back ordered Bearikade.
I'm flying to SFO (from Europe) in less than 48 hrs (arriving there on Friday) and REI has just emailed me that the delivery of my bear canister to the store in Berkeley "is delayed". So I'm a bit worried now...
The order page still says (as it did the last days):
Shipped from our Pennsylvania distribution center via REI Truck on 07/03/2013. Expected arrival date at REI Store, Berkeley, CA is on or before Thursday, 07/11/2013.
So I still hope that it will arrive in time (I'm in Berkeley until Sunday) but probably won't find out until I'm in the store on Friday afternoon. What's your experience with those estimated deadlines? The second order I placed has been delivered faster than they said, but I guess those were in-stock items.
If I don't hold the canister in my hands by Saturday afternoon I'll have to start thinking about alternatives.
A safe option is of course renting a Garcia 812 in Yosemite. However, it's slightly smaller than the BV500 I ordered and I would need to hike the part from MTR a day faster than planned (which would not be a big problem, though)
Any ideas where I could buy (or maybe rent/borrow) a BV500 (or similar) in the Berkeley/SF area on short notice? It seems to be out of stock at REI, so that's probably the case also at other places?
P.S. I'm convinced this will work out one way or the other and I'm already excited about my sobo hike starting at July 16th from Glacier Point!
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>