32912[John Muir Trail] Re: Lightweight 1L container for Steripen purification?

  • Joey Lynn
    Jul 9, 2013
      I know there is a disclaimer about Roleigh's link to studys on alternative containers being broken, but I can't even find any attached file that is claimed to be attached...

      ...with that being said, I have a SteriPen Journey which has some design differences from others but I've used this on a standard smallmouth 1L water bottle with success to the degree that the SteriPen completes the cycle. Wether or not this is 100% effective at neutralizing microbes (???), but the SteriPen website claims on their "misconceptions" page

      http://www.steripen.com/steripen-misconceptions/

      that this model along with a couple others can be used in the fashion of treating standard 'bottled water' bottles, which doesn't specify anything about widemouths. Being the fact that there is a rubber "stopper" like fitting just above the bullb/sensor assembly on the Journey model, it allows you to put the SteriPen in a wider (sorry, slimmer) variety of bottles. As long as you keep just enough headspace in the container you decide to use, hold just enough pressure to keep the SteriPen in the bottle acting like a cork or stopper while holding it upside down (after initializing a cycle of course), and then agitate...mostly from a vertical orientation. Just be sure to keep the sensor probes oriented downward to maintain continual contact with the water inside, but even if the sensors aren't fully submerged momentarily, it doesn't interrupt the cycle.

      I haven't tested this method's results for efficiency of microbial destruction, but I can't imagine SteriPen would suggest that you can use these on standard 'bottled water' bottles if the bulb itself had to be physically moved about within the container holding the water to be treated. Surely the agitation over the course of a 90 second cycle would be sufficient as opposed to stirring in a widemouth container or cooking pot...which may prove more effective but possibly not necessary

      Thoughts? Criticisms?

      Thanks, Joey
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic