32898Re: [John Muir Trail] Lightweight 1L container for Steripen purification?

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Jul 9, 2013
      I've used a soft sided Nalgene bottle. Holds a bit more than 1L.  Weighs about 3ozs, approx. probably better alternatives!

      On Jul 9, 2013, at 1:54 PM, "john_friend" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      I'm headed SOBO on the JMT in 4 days and just working on optimizing a few things at the last minute.

      We use a Steripen for purification and my standard operating procedure has always been to just carry a 1L Nalgene that was dedicated for doing the purification in.  Dip in the river, zap it with UV with the Steripen and then pour the water into other containers.

      Now, with my weight consciousness on high alert, I see that the Nalgene is 6.3 oz and all it's being used for is a temporary place to UV zap the water.  It never holds any water in the pack.  It needs to be widemouth to allow the Steripen to get inside, needs to be not too tall (so the UV can more easily reach everything) needs to be approx 1L in volume and needs to survive three weeks on the trail, but that's about it.

      Has anyone found a lighter weight alternative?  Anyone tried something like this 32oz gatorade container?  I wonder if the Steripen would fit in the mouth?

      Any other ideas?

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic