32870Re: [John Muir Trail] Sequoia Fire Chief Response on Alcohol Stove Use and PCTA Reminder about Campfires

    Jul 8, 2013
      On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
      If you do bring an alcohol stove, I'd definitely bring a printout of the email from Don!

      i suggest you print them separately, rather than all on the same page. Depending which jurisdiction you are in and the shoulder patch on the ranger you are talking to, you'd want to pull out the most favorable one under the circumstances. The conflicting advice in this series of communications is likely to make the Ranger feel like you were shopping for the interpretation you liked, rather than the one he's charged with enforcing.

      If you are clearly within Inyo, I'd use that (at least with an esbit). If within Sierra-administered-by-Inyo, I'd use Sierra. In Yosemite NP, use the Yosemite one. In SEKI use that one. Depends a bit on whether you are wanting to use Esbits or alcohol. Sounds like you'd need Esbits for Inyo but might get away with alcohol elsewhere. Or keep it simple and just bring a isobutane stove. Do you really want to play lawyer on your hike?

      But if you do play lawyer, make sure you focus the ranger on the most helpful support for each jurisdiction. That's an old lawyer skill and I dust them off occasionally