32863Re: [John Muir Trail] Sequoia Fire Chief Response on Alcohol Stove Use and PCTA Reminder about Campfires

  • Barbara Karagosian
    Jul 8, 2013
      Yay!!  Did u get his name and serial number?!

      On Jul 8, 2013, at 4:31 PM, "glen chappell" <glen@...> wrote:

      - I called the ranger at Yosemite just now, and was told that an alcohol stove was "absolutely no problem" anywhere on the JMT.

      - Sequoia & Kings Canyon (website)
      "…gas or propane stoves may be used at all locations."

      - Inyo NF
      " ...allowed to use portable stoves or lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel."

      - Sierra NF: really no clear restrictions on stove use

      So please tell me if I'm wrong, I'm sticking with my Pepsi-can stove.
      Alcohol IS a gas stove, BTW, as the liquid is inflammable until it volatilizes into a gas.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "glen chappell" <glen@...> wrote:

      > This is all very disappointing. I would really hate to go back to a propane stove, having had the pleasure of an alcohol stove for many years now. Beautiful little 1/4 oz. device. I carry an extra aluminum (pie-plate) disk to place under it when the ground is dry. The worst thing about a canister, apart from the weight, is that you can't adjust the amount of fuel you carry. If you need an extra day, you carry an entire additional canister. If you have fuel left over, and you have flown to your destination, you get to let it out into the atmosphere. Phooey.
      >
      > So what are other alcohol stove lovers going to do?
      > Do we know if Esbit is prohibited?
      >

      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Herb" <hstroh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Just to add a note as to the legal consequences: IF a hiker starts a fire and IF the stove he/she used is determined to be illegal under the fire restrictions, the hiker may be liable for the costs of fire suppression and loss of property. Should someone be injured or killed as a result of that fire, there may also be criminal liability.
      > >
      > > While the above is an unlikely scenario it is not impossible. Until there is clarification in the regulations, it would seem advisable to avoid stoves that MAY be illegal in restricted areas.
      > >
      > > Herb
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Important reminder:
      > > > http://www.pcta.org/2013/campfires-banned-on-southern-pct-12941/
      > > > Legal consequences
      > > >
      > > > In National Parks and National Forests, violation of campfire prohibitions
      > > > is subject to punishment by a fine of not more than $10,000 or imprisonment
      > > > for not more than six months or both. Persons may also be responsible for
      > > > resource damage, suppression costs and any injuries that occur if they are
      > > > found liable for causing a wildfire.
      > > >
      > > > On BLM land, any person convicted of knowingly and willfully violating a
      > > > Fire Prevention Order can be fined up to $1,000, receive up to 12 months in
      > > > jail, or both. That person is also liable for the cost of damages and
      > > > suppression of the fire.

      > > > Visit my Google Profile (lots of very interesting research
      > > > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>

    • Show all 32 messages in this topic