32782Re: Food shelf life

  • straw_marmot
    Jul 7, 2013
      Commercial freeze dried meals (including meat) after opening - anyone have experience?
      In the past, I've always left them in the original packaging and accepted the weight and bulk penalty for complete confidence. If repackaged in ziplocks with air expelled, I'd hope that several weeks at room temperature even in warm weather would be fine?

      In the original bags they are bone dry and I think also under inert gas if not vacuum, hence the 20-year shelf life. But keeping just very dry should be sufficient for shorter periods to inhibit bacterial growth I'd think.
      Dessicant packets?
      http://www.amazon.com/Dry-Packs-Cotton-Silica-Packet-Pack/dp/B00967JETQ/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Joshua Boelter <joshua.boelter@...> wrote:

      > I haven't done hikes with resupplies planned so far ahead before, and it
      > just occurred to me that I'm in new territory for shelf life.
      >
      > I made a batch of granola last night (grains, nuts, seeds, coconut, canola
      > oil, honey, brown sugar + dried fruit), and then put 6oz granola + 1/4C
      > Nido milk powder in bags. Should I be at all concerned about the milk
      > powder mixed in with the granola holding for a month? I noticed the milk
      > powder absorbed a bit of something when I mixed added it. The individual
      > bags were then put in a big bag and vacuum sealed (straw in the ziplocs
      > trick to suck all the air out).
      >
      > Curious of any experiences with "oops, that didn't work" when it comes to
      > food. My daily rations are something like this:
      >

      > Breakfast: Granola + Milk Powder + Peanut Butter
      > Snack: Snickers
      > Lunch: 2 Tortillas w/ 1/2 package Mountain House dried chicken stuff
      > (pumpkin seeds and cranberries in it)
      > Snack: Pro Bar
      > Dinner: Mashed Potatoes w/ Olive Oil; [Couscous/Quinoa/Ramen] + random
      > flavorings and dried veggies [carb heavy while sleeping]
      >
      > Nets me about 3000 - 3500 calories per day right around 125 cal/oz.
      >
      > Electrolyte powder in the water bottle when I'm working hard.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > -Josh

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic