32475[John Muir Trail] Re: Donahue to Vogelsang?

  • Robert
    Jul 1 10:12 AM
      Kim, great Yosemite photos! I will doing a similar loop that you covered the end of July. Starting from TM, going over Vogelsang Pass, heading to Triple Creek Jct., over Red Peak Pass, down the Illiouette drainage, up the Merced River canyon, by Merced Lake, and out via Emerrick Lake to TM. Do you have any 'must stop' places? I have a few on my list, including: Vogelsang Lake, the waterfall camp by the Lyell Fork, a side trip to Isberg Pass to look over the area of a future section hike of the SHR, Red Devil Lake, Red Peak Pass, Lower Ottoway Lake, the cascade slide near Bunnell Point. We may do Half Dome as a side trip as we have the permit if needed. Any tips or advice would be appreciated as I haven't been to most of this area of Yosemite before. Thanks!

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, Kim Fishburn <animalfarm99@...> wrote:

      > If you go by way of Vogelsang Pass this is the view from there.
      >
      > http://outhiking.com/ys14.html
      >

      > On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 10:24 AM, outhiking_55 <animalfarm99@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > I find it kind of interesting that on Google Maps it shows a short section
      > > of trail just north of Florence Peak from Florence Lake up toward the
      > > crest, but it doesn't connect to the trail from Voglesang to Merced Lake.
      > > I'm assuming this is a well established cross country route?
      > >
      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johndittli@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > David
      > > > Yes, I've done it many times. PM me if your interested.
      > > > JDWalk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trailsee book here
      > > > <http://www.johndittli.com>

      > > > the maps from Vogelsang down to about the midpoint of Lyell. I've not
      > > > done it before, but doing it this year. Should be straightforward.

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic