    Jul 1, 2013
      I've carried, still do, and have the practical application experience of using an ob tampon for gunshots.  They plug the wound, pack well, and absorb.  I know no one is going to get shot on the jmt but for penetrating wounds caused by sticks, tent stakes if you fell oddly, a knife, or other deep small circumference wound they work great and take up no room.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jun 30, 2013, at 9:11 PM, Jo T <jotslibrarylist@...> wrote:

      I assure you -- if the looks at the grocery store were from women, they're probably giving you extra points in their head for purchasing pads on your own. Most of us assume you're buying for a wife/girlfriend (etc.). I'd probably get a chuckle from seeing you in uniform buying pads in bulk (for the patrol cars' first aid kits), but would think it's either a) because you don't know how much is required for "normal use" and are afraid of not buying enough or b) you're hitting it with the Costco approach -- buy bulk and save (trips to the store to do the very same thing next month!).

       Hmm. I wonder if the manufacturers of these products ever thought to poll feedback from emergency personnel.

      Thanks to all for the clarification. =) It's nice to know a standard in my hygiene kit has multi-uses.

      From: Mike Mosack <mosack@...>
      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2013 7:48 PM
      Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: first aid kit

      Hi JoT,
      I have used them for the same reasons they were designed for -
      To soak up potentially large amounts of blood. <grin>
      If in the worse case scenario, there is an injury that is bleeding substantially, they work great. They are sanitary, they pack well and can soak up fluids very well as in a pressure bandage. My previous work in emergency services we kept them in our first aid kits in all of our patrol cars and I have had the umm pleasure of purchasing boxes of these at a time in the grocery store. You can imagine the looks I have gotten. Especially when I have only purchased these and nothing else was in the cart.