32352Re: [John Muir Trail] Fire restrictions and permits required for stoves on the JMT

    Jun 29, 2013
    Please see the attached extra information I was able to gather.  It is a collection of email inquiries and responses.  What is not shown are the email addresses of all the authorities I reached out to, so only who responded is shown.

    In it you'll see John Ladd's take, I am presuming his interpretation is correct.  For this year I'm not taking an alcohol stove consequently.  Actually if I was hiking solo I'd go stoveless again like I did last year, just getting by with a solar heating water bag warm-up cooking solution.  But this year a lady friend of mine is doing the hike with us and I don't want to immediately hate the experience going stoveless.  Going stoveless takes a special type of gut and very few thru hikers have acquired that gut.

    Consequently I went with the "highly recommended" Jetboil Sol Ti Cooking System which weighs 8.5 oz.  I presume that does not include the weight of the fuel.

    It says "* System weight does not include pot support, fuel stabilizer and measuring cup."  I'm not sure if the pot support and fuel stabilizer are shown in the picture or are needed on the trek.

    Is Jetboil's claim that
    Water Boiled12 Liters per 100g Jetpower canister

    the case in practice?

    Care to comment on this stove?

    Were you able to get the 100g fuel (or equivalent brand but same size) at each of the supply stops  (Yosemite Valley (start), TM, RM, MTR)?

    On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Roleigh Martin <roleigh@...> wrote:
    I saw that posting via the same link given at the JMT Facebook page.  I've been reaching out to individuals more in the know than me to get expanded information on it.  I will be posting it this weekend.

    I am particularly concerned about the use of alcohol stoves being legit under this tightened rule.

    On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM, dr.suuz_2013 <sbadvm@...> wrote:

    Information about the campfire ban on the PCT south of Yosemite is posted on the PCT Association's website: http://www.pcta.org/2013/campfires-banned-on-southern-pct-12941/ .

    They state that, "Controlled flame devices such as portable stoves fueled by petroleum or LPG products are allowed by permit." Does anyone know what type of permit is required and where to obtain it? Does each member of a hiking group using a stove need to have a separate permit?

  • Show all 32 messages in this topic