32333Re: [John Muir Trail] light weight sun shirt

  • robert shattuck
    Jun 28, 2013
      You can also try the Patagonia lightweight sun hoody ....I actually never bothered to figure out how much it weighs, but apparently only 4.9 ounces.

      It's sold in their surfing line of clothes and isn't really considered anything but sun protection.

      I used it last year and was quite happy with it.

      The tropic comfort has a zip pocket, while the lightweight just has the pouch pocket and no thumb loops in the sleeves.

      Bob

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jun 28, 2013, at 9:43 PM, "Brian Kimball" <kimballistic@...> wrote:

      If you don't like a slim fit, or if you want a lighter khaki color, or if you want a sun hood too, try Patagonia's Tropic Comfort Hoody.  $9 more ($59) and said to weigh 8.6 oz.  I bought it a few weeks ago and am amazed by how light and airy it feels.  Can't wait to test it in the heat.

      On Jun 28, 2013, at 7:37 PM, straw_marmot <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      This is my bottom layer every time I hike.
      Medium weighs 5.1 oz.
      Ignore the skier on the website - this is soft thin lightweight wicking polyester, ideal material for hot weather. It dries in minutes. In hot weather, I peel down until this is my only layer.

      http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/sc-gear/mens-shirts-sweaters/men-39-s-light-zip-neck.html?from=subCat

      I've done a lot of desert hiking in intense sun, and never found anything better. As it gets very hot, obviously you want light wicking material, but I still like to have long sleeves and a high neck for sun protection, and a zipper for regulation. This fits the bill perfectly for me. I can't find an SPF rating on the website, but I can tell you this has been my only layer for weeks in intense sun and I've never been burnt (I'm fair-skinned and burn easily).

      I don't know your body type, but this is a "slim" fit by American standards. I'm tall and slim, and for me most US tops have a huge flop of excess width in material under the armpits. This is the only baselayer I've found that fits nicely when I raise my arms. Medium fits me perfecly (I'm 6'2", 175lb, long arms).

    • Show all 48 messages in this topic