32315Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply containers

  • Robert
    Jun 27, 2013
      This is my second reply to this, so if my other one shows up later, my apologies.

      Yes, I think you could probably buy food along the way, but it is a bit risky. I will go in order from North to South on your options and my 'take' on them. Tuolumne Meadows, the best one of the bunch for resupply, but too early in the hike. Reds Meadow is hit and miss, and as Roleigh mentioned,does not always carry backpacker suited food supplies. They are geared more towards RV/trailer/car campers and fishermen. VVR for me has been pretty weak as well. One year I went I was told that they just had an unusually large group come through and deplete their stock. The other time was better, but not by much, but at least you can get a good meal or two. They have overflow barrels, but can get pretty picked over and a lot of junk is left behind. MTR is just plain pathetic on their food supplies in their 'store'. They do have some first aid supplies for a healthy price. Their overflow hiker buckets are a wealth of food supplies though, but I don't know what their policy is on picking through them if you haven't sent a bucket there. The pack suppliers that come in over Kearsarge are just too expensive to be practical for most people, so I have always just packed enough to make it from MTR to Whitney Portal.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "joelindhardt" <joelindhardt@...> wrote:

      > Forgive me for asking a naïve question, but why not buy your food along the way? Are the stores along the route that lame?
      >
      > I see people spending a lot of money to send drops or hire mule trains to resupply. This makes sense to me if you already have a permit, are a part of a group, want/need specific food products, want the peace of mind/security, don't want to leave the trail, etc.
      >
      > In my case, however, I plan to hike solo. Furthermore, I do not have a permit reserved, so I will have to wait in line to try and get one @ Yosemite. This creates a lot of uncertainty as to if/when I will actually get on the trail and, therefore, when I will be at certain resupply points along the trail. Logistically, it seems easier to purchase my food and supplies at stores along the way (Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, and VVR) as needed. I'm not a picky eater, so I'll take what I can get, even if the items are ridiculously overpriced.
      >
      > The biggest challenge I see is the long haul (~100 miles) from VVR to Kearsarge Jct. I will be maxed out weight and volume-wise, so I'll probably only be doing 10-15 miles/day in that stretch. I plan to exit @ Kearsarge Jct to go into Independence not only because I will be out of food by that time, but I'll need a zero day anyways after carrying that much that far. Plus, I'll need a day to recharge my batteries, get some real food, and make my airline reservations back to TX (I'm flying out to Yosemite one-way because I have no idea when my return date will be).
      >
      > So, for those of you that have done the JMT, is my approach doable or naïve?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Joe
      >
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ted bonetti <tedbonetti@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Just sent 2, 25 lbs buckets to VVR from San Jose for $33 US postage
      > >
      > > Ted
      > >
      > > TB
      > >

      > > From: Jo T <jotslibrarylist@>
      > > Date: Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:21 AM
      > > To: "johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      > > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply containers
      > >

      > > John,
      > > Can you share with the group how much postage each bucket costs you to mail?
      > > I've budgeted for the resupply fees for my trip in September, but I'd like
      > > to get an estimate of how much the postage will cost.
      > >
      > > Any info appreciated.
      > > JoT

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic