32249Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply containers

  • Robert
    Jun 27, 2013
      It's doable, but a touch risky. I remember one year going into VVR following what was explained to me as an unexpected wave of hikers that had just passed through, and the pickings were very slim! From what I understand, that was an exception, not the norm, but it wasn't much better the second time going there either. Reds is a little better, but as Roleigh said, they have a lot of food that doesn't translate well for carrying well for backpackers. They cater more to car/RV/trailer campers and fishermen. TM has the best selection of them all for backpackers, but pretty early in the trip. MTR is useless for food purchases, ( some first aid supplies ), but usually has a great selection in their overflow buckets. I'm not sure what their policy is on people picking food out of the buckets without actually sending a re-supply there. They take unopened, factory packaged and labeled food to the food bank, but as far as I know they toss the re-packaged stuff, which there is usually a lot of!

      > Joe, the stores you can buy food from give you a very limited choice of
      > food. Canned tuna. Beef Jerky. Top Ramen. Gorp. Snickers. Chips.
      > Bread. Cereal. Kool Aid.
      >
      > If you take a full or 1/2 day out at Mammoth Lakes (Reds Meadow), go into
      > town, you could buy expensive camp food at Mammoth Mountaineering or go to
      > a supermarket and have more choices there (such as water-laced foil-pouched
      > tuna/salmon/chicken perhaps if lucky).
      >
      > Personally, I prefer ordering the food ahead of time, knowing the food is
      > going to healthily sustain me and bring enjoyment to my hike.
      >
      > I know that some PCT hikers buy whatever as they do their PCT hike so I'm
      > not saying it can't be done, but your choices are quite limited, especially
      > from the stretch of Reds Meadow to Whitney Portal.
      > links)<https://plus.google.com/104440166440169700478/about>
      > _
      >

      > On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM, joelindhardt <joelindhardt@...>wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Forgive me for asking a naïve question, but why not buy your food along
      > > the way? Are the stores along the route that lame?
      > >
      > > I see people spending a lot of money to send drops or hire mule trains to
      > > resupply. This makes sense to me if you already have a permit, are a part
      > > of a group, want/need specific food products, want the peace of
      > > mind/security, don't want to leave the trail, etc.
      > >
      > > In my case, however, I plan to hike solo. Furthermore, I do not have a
      > > permit reserved, so I will have to wait in line to try and get one @
      > > Yosemite. This creates a lot of uncertainty as to if/when I will actually
      > > get on the trail and, therefore, when I will be at certain resupply points
      > > along the trail. Logistically, it seems easier to purchase my food and
      > > supplies at stores along the way (Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, and VVR)
      > > as needed. I'm not a picky eater, so I'll take what I can get, even if the
      > > items are ridiculously overpriced.
      > >
      > > The biggest challenge I see is the long haul (~100 miles) from VVR to
      > > Kearsarge Jct. I will be maxed out weight and volume-wise, so I'll probably
      > > only be doing 10-15 miles/day in that stretch. I plan to exit @ Kearsarge
      > > Jct to go into Independence not only because I will be out of food by that
      > > time, but I'll need a zero day anyways after carrying that much that far.
      > > Plus, I'll need a day to recharge my batteries, get some real food, and
      > > make my airline reservations back to TX (I'm flying out to Yosemite one-way
      > > because I have no idea when my return date will be).
      > >
      > > So, for those of you that have done the JMT, is my approach doable or
      > > naïve?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Joe
      > >

      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ted bonetti <tedbonetti@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just sent 2, 25 lbs buckets to VVR from San Jose for $33 US postage
      > > >
      > > > Ted
      > > >
      > > > TB
      > > >

      > > > From: Jo T <jotslibrarylist@>

> [...]
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic