32225Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply containers

    Jun 27, 2013
      Joe, the stores you can buy food from give you a very limited choice of food.  Canned tuna.  Beef Jerky.  Top Ramen.  Gorp.  Snickers.  Chips.  Bread.  Cereal.  Kool Aid.

      If you take a full or 1/2 day out at Mammoth Lakes (Reds Meadow), go into town, you could buy expensive camp food at Mammoth Mountaineering or go to a supermarket and have more choices there (such as water-laced foil-pouched tuna/salmon/chicken perhaps if lucky).

      Personally, I prefer ordering the food ahead of time, knowing the food is going to healthily sustain me and bring enjoyment to my hike.

      I know that some PCT hikers buy whatever as they do their PCT hike so I'm not saying it can't be done, but your choices are quite limited, especially from the stretch of Reds Meadow to Whitney Portal.
      _

      On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 6:04 PM, joelindhardt <joelindhardt@...> wrote:

      Forgive me for asking a naïve question, but why not buy your food along the way? Are the stores along the route that lame?

      I see people spending a lot of money to send drops or hire mule trains to resupply. This makes sense to me if you already have a permit, are a part of a group, want/need specific food products, want the peace of mind/security, don't want to leave the trail, etc.

      In my case, however, I plan to hike solo. Furthermore, I do not have a permit reserved, so I will have to wait in line to try and get one @ Yosemite. This creates a lot of uncertainty as to if/when I will actually get on the trail and, therefore, when I will be at certain resupply points along the trail. Logistically, it seems easier to purchase my food and supplies at stores along the way (Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, and VVR) as needed. I'm not a picky eater, so I'll take what I can get, even if the items are ridiculously overpriced.

      The biggest challenge I see is the long haul (~100 miles) from VVR to Kearsarge Jct. I will be maxed out weight and volume-wise, so I'll probably only be doing 10-15 miles/day in that stretch. I plan to exit @ Kearsarge Jct to go into Independence not only because I will be out of food by that time, but I'll need a zero day anyways after carrying that much that far. Plus, I'll need a day to recharge my batteries, get some real food, and make my airline reservations back to TX (I'm flying out to Yosemite one-way because I have no idea when my return date will be).

      So, for those of you that have done the JMT, is my approach doable or naïve?

      Thanks,
      Joe

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, ted bonetti <tedbonetti@...> wrote:

      > Just sent 2, 25 lbs buckets to VVR from San Jose for $33 US postage
      >
      > Ted
      >
      > TB
      >

      > From: Jo T <jotslibrarylist@...>

      > Date: Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:21 AM
      > To: "johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com" <johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com>
      > Subject: Re: [John Muir Trail] Resupply containers
      >

      > John,
      > Can you share with the group how much postage each bucket costs you to mail?
      > I've budgeted for the resupply fees for my trip in September, but I'd like
      > to get an estimate of how much the postage will cost.
      >
      > Any info appreciated.
      > JoT

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic