32183Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: 10-days of food in a 7-day Bear Canister?

  • Allen Freeman
    Jun 26, 2013
      I hope those are (m)eters and not (m)iles!

      --
      ~~~~~
      Allen F. Freeman

      “May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”
      -Edward Abbey

      On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 8:07 PM, John Ladd <johnladd@...> wrote:

      On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Todd Foster <ptoddf@...> wrote:
      If Ursack is not tied to tree and it's found by bear it may be carried off to an unfindable distance.

      In the National Forest field study of the Ursack, bears did not carry off unsecured Ursacks very far at all.

      "Bears carried inadequately-secured Ursacks short distances suggesting that users should be able to locate most bags that might get carried off by bears. Distances carried during the four tests were 0.3m, 1.6 m, 5.8 m, and somewhere between 41 and 67 m."

      They are white and pretty visible. I admit that they "may" be carried off. If the Ursack only has supplemental food that doesn't fit in a real bearcan, it's a risk perhaps worth taking if you arfe in an area where leaving an Ursack on the ground is legal.