32009[John Muir Trail] Re: resupply questions

  • ravi_jmt2013
    Jun 23, 2013
      Regarding olive oil leakage, I found that a 8 ounce Nalgene from REI is very solid in terms of preventing leaks. However, the weight of the Nalgene is 1.35 ounces which reduces the calories per ounce from 250 gross to 214 net for 8 ounces of olive oil. Still not bad but for the JMT I am going to use a larger Nalgene. The 16 ounce Nalgene is probably not twice the weight of the 8 ounce so there will be less of a penalty with the added volume.

      To be extra safe I pack the Nalgene wrapped with absorbent paper (paper shop towels available at any auto parts store) and put it into a quart size ziplock.

      This is the 8 ounce I currently use:

      http://www.rei.com/product/402054/nalgene-polyethylene-bottle-8-fl-oz
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic