31998Re: Considering the Iva Bell detour

  • Robert
    Jun 23, 2013
      I wish I had an easy answer on that on. They have both seemed more accurate at different times for me over the years. I would say the Harrison Maps look to be more accurate in this case after tracing the routes out on another routing system I use. I know this isn't always the case, but generally the PCT will take the most direct route if there is a fairly equal scenic option, ie; The High Trail from Devils Postpile to Thousand Island Lake vs the JMT route. It would surprise me if they took the JMT route here if it were truly longer, but that is only my opinion. Either way, it looks well worth the detour even if it proves to be a touch longer, if you have done the JMT previously. If not, maybe just bite the bullet and hike he short up hill from Cascade Valley to Purple Lake so you don't miss Purple and Virginia Lakes. I always think the view into Tully Hole is nice as well.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <cehauser1@...> wrote:
      > Robert:
      > Which of those two maps do you trust more? Seems like a really big discrepancy... 5 miles difference, out of about 20 mile distance.
      > Chris.
      > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rnperky@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Aw ha! I have done some calculations on the detour options with my Mountain Images, Sierra Nevada hiking software and the Harrison maps, and there is discrepancies between the two.
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic