31987RE: [John Muir Trail] Re: resupply questions

  • Don Amundson
    Jun 22, 2013
      Try Minimus.com   I've always used the .5 oz packets and just put one in each of my individual plastic dinner bags.  Minimus also carries small  plastic bottles of olive oil.

      To: johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com
      From: treeve17@...
      Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 17:31:52 +0000
      Subject: [John Muir Trail] Re: resupply questions

      Thanks John and cjoslyn99 (and Wendy for off board reply). I suppose I should have worded my question a little better -- I've had chip bags and sleeves of coffee burst by driving to 9000' or above from the bay, so I was concerned about an oily mess. Also didn't want to end up lugging 3 or 4 of those 4 oz Nalgenes. I'm looking for a couple really small, recyclable bottles of EVOO that I can mail -- just wanted the reassurance that would work. As always, the JMT group comes through with timely, accurate info.

      > I agree with cjoslyn99. You should have no problem either with original
      > packaging or brand-name Nalgenes for Olive Oil. It does want to leak in
      > marginal packaging, but both of those should work.
      >
      > John L
      >
      > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > If it is unopened from the store, I don't see this as an issue -
      > > especially for glass bottles b/c it's the pressure on the walls of the
      > > container that create the mess. I put a 20 oz mountain dew (plastic
      > > bottle) in my bucket and had no problems. Seal it in a ziploc and place
      > > it in your supply bucket upright for extra security.
      > >

      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "treeve17" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Question for those who have experience with resupply drops. I'm
      > > starting off 8/2, and I've opted for 4 resupplies (TM, Reds, MTR, Woods
      > > Creek) to keep max food carried to low weight and volume. So, are there
      > > leakage issues with shipping olive oil? Would like to ship the EVOO in
      > > original store container and transfer to a small nalgene at the resupply
      > > point. I can envision an oily mess if there's leakage -- that could ruin
      > > a resupply pretty quick. I'm thinking of the pressure differential
      > > between sea level and higher elevations. I could also be over thinking
      > > the issue. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic