31985[John Muir Trail] Re: resupply questions

  • treeve17
    Jun 22, 2013
      Thanks John and cjoslyn99 (and Wendy for off board reply). I suppose I should have worded my question a little better -- I've had chip bags and sleeves of coffee burst by driving to 9000' or above from the bay, so I was concerned about an oily mess. Also didn't want to end up lugging 3 or 4 of those 4 oz Nalgenes. I'm looking for a couple really small, recyclable bottles of EVOO that I can mail -- just wanted the reassurance that would work. As always, the JMT group comes through with timely, accurate info.

      > I agree with cjoslyn99. You should have no problem either with original
      > packaging or brand-name Nalgenes for Olive Oil. It does want to leak in
      > marginal packaging, but both of those should work.
      >
      > John L
      >
      > On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > If it is unopened from the store, I don't see this as an issue -
      > > especially for glass bottles b/c it's the pressure on the walls of the
      > > container that create the mess. I put a 20 oz mountain dew (plastic
      > > bottle) in my bucket and had no problems. Seal it in a ziploc and place
      > > it in your supply bucket upright for extra security.
      > >

      > > --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "treeve17" wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Question for those who have experience with resupply drops. I'm
      > > starting off 8/2, and I've opted for 4 resupplies (TM, Reds, MTR, Woods
      > > Creek) to keep max food carried to low weight and volume. So, are there
      > > leakage issues with shipping olive oil? Would like to ship the EVOO in
      > > original store container and transfer to a small nalgene at the resupply
      > > point. I can envision an oily mess if there's leakage -- that could ruin
      > > a resupply pretty quick. I'm thinking of the pressure differential
      > > between sea level and higher elevations. I could also be over thinking
      > > the issue. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic