31984Re: [John Muir Trail] Re: resupply questions

    Jun 21, 2013
      I agree with cjoslyn99. You should have no problem either with original packaging or brand-name Nalgenes for Olive Oil. It does want to leak in marginal packaging, but both of those should work.

      John L

      On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM, cjoslyn99 <cjoslyn99@...> wrote:

      If it is unopened from the store, I don't see this as an issue -
      especially for glass bottles b/c it's the pressure on the walls of the
      container that create the mess. I put a 20 oz mountain dew (plastic
      bottle) in my bucket and had no problems. Seal it in a ziploc and place
      it in your supply bucket upright for extra security.

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "treeve17" wrote:

      > Question for those who have experience with resupply drops. I'm
      starting off 8/2, and I've opted for 4 resupplies (TM, Reds, MTR, Woods
      Creek) to keep max food carried to low weight and volume. So, are there
      leakage issues with shipping olive oil? Would like to ship the EVOO in
      original store container and transfer to a small nalgene at the resupply
      point. I can envision an oily mess if there's leakage -- that could ruin
      a resupply pretty quick. I'm thinking of the pressure differential
      between sea level and higher elevations. I could also be over thinking
      the issue. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic