31893Re: Considering the Iva Bell detour

  • Erica
    Jun 20, 2013
      Thank you all for the awesome info - it's perfect. I'm feeling pretty sure that the detour will be a good decision - and actually probably the steep hike up cascade valley might be the best option, as we won't miss Lake Virginia or Purple Lake. And I suppose, if come that day, we're feeling particularly lazy we can skip it and take the easier route.

      Curious if anyone has done the hike over Goodale Pass to get to VVR? I'm leaning away from this option because so much of the trail would be skipped, but would still be curious to hear if anyone else has gone this route...

      --- In johnmuirtrail@yahoogroups.com, "Erica" <xericamunsonx@...> wrote:

      > I'm working on our itinerary - and I'm finding myself seriously considering the detour to Iva Bell Hot Springs. I'm finding myself completely torn between doing a "pure" JMT hike - and soaking my tired muscles into the night under the Sierra stars.
      >
      > A few questions:
      > - the JMT Harrison maps of that area includes the Iva Bell, but the trail cuts off a bit (I have the Mono Divide Map on order). Does anyone have the mileage available for this detour?
      >
      > - It seems there are 2 good places to re-join the JMT - near Silver Pass (before Lake Virginia and Purple Lake), or heading to VVR and re-joining after VVR. I am debating heading to VVR anyway (but was dreading the hike to it) - would it save significant miles compared to heading back to the JMT - then leaving again for VVR (with no ferry)?
      >
      > - I really don't want to miss Lake Virginia or Purple Lake (and I could potentially still see them) - but as an argument to stick to the JMT - is there anything else I'll be missing on the JMT that I should consider?
      >
      > - And, lastly, scenery-wise how is that trail to Iva Bell? If it's particularly un-exciting or hot/exposed...that would be a good argument to stick to the JMT.
      >
      > Thanks!
      > Erica

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic