31684Re: Request for Strategy Comments (Maps, Guide & Data Book)

  • casey
    Jun 17, 2013
      I've been using a Samsung Galaxy 7" tablet for the almost two years, works great, hoping to upgrade to the Note ll. It's half the weight. I carry a Goal Zero Nomad 3.5 solar charger to power it. (Also recharges my headlamp batteries, g.p.s. batteries, and mp3 player.) It gives the tablet about 8 or 9 hours of video playback time on a recharge.

      When you consider all the things the tablet replaces, for me it seems to save weight, definitely saves on space. It's my camera, notebook, maps, trailguide, and I can watch a movie before bedtime. Personally don't have a problem with electronics in the backcountry. If it works, saves weight, and bulk, why not take advantage of the benefits. Without change we would all be wearing calf high leather boots and carrying external frame packs. (not meant as a criticism) There was a lot of resistance to g.p.s when if first became available, still is to some degree.

    • Show all 22 messages in this topic